Monday 28 April 2014

Watcher, second draft begins

First draft 50,000 words, done.
 
Second draft has just begun.
 
It's going to be between 15 and twenty chapters, and I've given myself the task of writing about 4,000 words per chapter. So far, so good.
I'm about to start chapter three and the first two chapters feel about right being 4,100 and 4,500 words respectively. This gives a good MEATY feel to the novel, even if it's at the 15-chapter end of the scale. By this I mean, "Each chapter is a good length," to draw the reader into Millgate's world.
 
I'll do a couple more second-draft chapters this afternoon.
And I'll keep doing that until the book's finished.
 
Right now, it's time for my run. Back in an hour ... made it round my usual six mile route in 55mins, which for me is a sign that getting old is really going to hurt.
 
 
DAYS LATER UPDATE: seven chapters completed to second-draft standard, 28,000 words; so, expected wordage-wise, I'm bang on schedule. I've gone through and looked at the structure and have decided that sixteen chapters will tell the tale, that'll make (roughly) 64,000 words for the finished novel.
 
Today's 90 minute i.e. 9 miles, jog in the midday sun was very tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment